Monday, July 06, 2009

Checklist for strength

Well, yesterday was the VBS kick off and things went pretty smoothly. Today was day one and there were a few bumps in the road, but we made it through with no major blow ups. the kids seemed to have a good time and the crafts and food were good.
So I bought this book a few years ago called Ultimate Checklist for Life. I skimmed through it when I first got it and completed a few of the lists, half heartedly. Well, I brought the book out again a few days ago and tried to give it another try. I looked over the checklists to see what I felt I was needing to accomplish and came across the chapter titled Checklist for Women. Hmm, I thought, I am a woman, so maybe there is something here that I can work on. As I scrolled down the page, I saw the list titled Inner Power. That seem to strike a chord to me, since yesterday I blogged (in my other blog) that I was looking for the strength and willpower that others had to do strict dieting and strenuous exercising to stay fit and healthy and even train for marathons. I opened the book to that section and began to read. WOW! I really hadn't thought of being strong in this way. It says that we may have high ideals and many times the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak! I SOOOOO understand that. There are times I tell myself that I need to exercise, need to eat right, but my fingers and tummy just say, I am too tired, or gimme that brownie. After a moment (or 5) like this, I get so down on myself! Wondering why I just don't have the strength to withstand the temptations. Then the next section sort of explains what can pull you through. "'Yet it is in times of weakness that your greatest strength may be found-the gentle strength of God's Spirit working in you.'" If I look to Him for the strength to help me on this journey, I WILL succeed. I have to understand that ALL true strength comes from Him and choose to live in god's strength by faith. I also have to remember that when I am weak, God can be strong for me, if i hear Him.

No comments: